Re: [NTLK] SER-001 Board

From: keith (keith_at_vortex.co.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 02:41:39 PDT

Sometime around 16/8/04 (at 12:24 am -0700) Sean Riddle said:

>I've heard that the interconnect port for the MPs is not hard to
>damage, and was looking into getting an SER-001 board. Is this hard to
>install? I looked at the website of mrpcbman, but the pictures on the
>site aren't very informative. Also, does the installation change the
>dimensions of the MP? (I don't see how it couldn't)

It isn't hard to install. The most difficult part is getting the case
open - you need to look closely to understand how it clips together
as you open it up. But then (going by memory) it is a matter of:

removing the small blanking plate from the section beneath the hinged
cover at the end of the Newton,

moving the cables to the 'on' switch so they don't keep the board
from sitting flat,

pushing the board into the socket on the motherboard,

and putting everything back together.

Make sure the board is as well seated as possible and not lifted up
by any cables or it'll be a squeeze.

Once in place and back together you see a regular old-style Mac
serial socket where the Newton normally has a small blanking plate
area. The fit is pretty good, although not perfect; not quite what
I'd expect if it had been built in by Apple from the start. However,
it is quite acceptable.

      Keith Martin   Technical Editor, MacUser magazine
      MacUser Help   mailto:help_at_macuser.co.uk
      direct (work)  +44 (0)20 7907 6360
            mobile   0790 954 1365