Re: [NTLK] CF Cards

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 22:08:45 PDT

>Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:34:44 -0400
>From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
>
> >>I was just wondering if other people are using large(ish) CF cards in
> >>their Newts without problems. I have a 256Mb card (a generic one bought
> >>from Expansys a few months ago) and I have had a few problems with its
> >>reliability.
> >

> > I have a 256 Mb CF card with which I have had no problems except slow
> > access some times. I only have one partition on it.
>
>The slow access is probably due to the large partition. The larger the
>partition, the more heap is used, and slower access at times when doing
>a lot of reading/writing. Paul can tell you with more certainity than I.

There are two things.
- there is a threshold, probably 8 MB (but I don't recall exactly),
where the format of the table for transactions changes. Just because
the ID of the blocks no longer fits on 3 bytes but on 4. This
increases the number of accesses for the same operation.
- if you have many packages installed, the whole OS can be slowed
down. Hence the possibility to partition the card.

The global speed of ATA Support isn't ridiculous, but there is
definitely room for improvements.

Paul

--
Haut                       |   Philosophie de baignoire
       Fragile              |   Consultations sur rendez-vous