Re: [NTLK] PCMCIA 3.3V vs. 5V

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Aug 03 2004 - 10:05:30 PDT

Aux environs du 3/08/04 à 10:49 -0600, sous le titre "[NTLK] PCMCIA
3.3V vs. 5V", Brian Uhreen prit sa plus belle plume pour écrire les
mots suivants:
>Can someone explain how I can fry my Newton by inserting a 3.3V card into
>it? The 3.3V and 5V cards use the same pinout just different voltages, so
>in theory I should just fry the card.

I don't know how you can fry your Newton with a 3.3V card.
The Newton reads the configuration data of the card powering it at
3.3V (if it works, it works for 5V cards) and hence knows if it's a
3.3V card.

However, buggy drivers can fry your cards by giving it 5V or 12V.

Please note that some 3.3V cards have a different end shape that
prevent them from being inserted in eMates. The only report I had
about this was from Victor's WiFi card. His card works pretty well in
his MP2100.

>Now inserting a cardbus I can see that would have a different pinout than
>the Newton is expecting.

The card bus cards simply don't work in the Newton.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/