[NTLK] Newton Acquisition

From: MKow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 15:32:10 PDT

Hi George:

I'll sure keep everyone informed as to my progress.
Once the Newton MP gets shipped to me, I'll take 'er apart to clean and
inspect everything.

I figure the easy fix MIGHT be to run a very thin piece of plastic under the
edge where the casing meets the display screen, as Andrei has suggested. The
previous owner has likely tried this already, although perhaps not.

If worse comes to worse, I have an MP 2100 in good working order, aside from
a smashed display screen. I already successfully disassembled and reasembled
this puppy, so not too much to worry about there -- I'll just swap display
screens.

I hate hearing about people trashing Newts or stripping them, unneccessarily,
just for spare parts to sell (Certain e-tailers come to mind). In my mind,
the objective should be to keep as many of these units running and in the
hands of avid users as possible, not using them to "make a killing" off of some
neophyte (although having a FEW spare parts on hand can be helpful).

I issue this challenge to anyone else out there with a number of broken Newts
just sitting around. Cobble together your broken Newts to make a few more
working models, so that we can maintain our numbers for the foreseeable future.
Sell one cheap to an IT geek at your office (I have an IT Uber-geek in mind as
a recipient for my next FrankenNewt creation). We could ultimately benefit
from their future contributions to our community. [Now turning off "Optimistic
Dream Switch"]

Matt K.