Re: [NTLK] LPR Printer Driver Success!

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 10:06:20 PDT

On Apr 27, 2004, at 8:11 PM, Michael Blazer wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 27, 2004, at 12:21 PM, Eckhart Köppen wrote:
>
>> Nope. I have just tested it with an HP LaserWriter and it worked fine.
>> Otherwise, maybe a printer server might be needed if the printer
>> doesn't like that the Newton sends zero as the file size. If you are
>> running Unix, LPRng might be a good choice. CUPS (under MacOS X)
>> should
>> work as well. Beware however, some printer servers are also fuzzy
>> about
>> the zero length...
>>

> It didn't work just now with the HP LaserJet 4M+ on my LAN, but that's
> probably because I don't know what I'm doing. In LPR Setup, I created
> a printer with an arbitrary name; for "Server" I put in the IP address
> of the printer, and I left "Queue" blank because I didn't know what it
> was for.
>
> When I tried to print something, it did the whole internet connect
> thing, then appeared to send the page to the printer. The printer even
> woke up and started warming up, so I thought it was going to work. But
> nothing printed, and on subsequent tries (with the printer awake),
> there is no response from the printer.
>
> What am I doing wrong, or is this the zero file size issue you
> mentioned?

The HP 4M+ doesn't have postscript installed by default. I believe
that this new LPR print driver is pushing postscript to the printer...
This explains why you saw the printer wake up. I am surprised it
didn't spit out pages of postscript code... Your configuration seems
right.

There are basically two options to get it working.

1) find an HP postscript simm and plug it in.
2) Setup a mac or Linux box to accept the LPR input and rasterize it to
PCL which is the language your printer accepts.

I Don't know if the print pack supported PCL printers? If so it might
be possible to get Eckhart to make that work also.

Marty