Re: [NTLK] LPR Printer Driver Success!

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 20:11:26 PDT

On Tuesday, April 27, 2004, at 12:21 PM, Eckhart Köppen wrote:

> Nope. I have just tested it with an HP LaserWriter and it worked fine.
> Otherwise, maybe a printer server might be needed if the printer
> doesn't like that the Newton sends zero as the file size. If you are
> running Unix, LPRng might be a good choice. CUPS (under MacOS X) should
> work as well. Beware however, some printer servers are also fuzzy about
> the zero length...

It didn't work just now with the HP LaserJet 4M+ on my LAN, but that's
probably because I don't know what I'm doing. In LPR Setup, I created
a printer with an arbitrary name; for "Server" I put in the IP address
of the printer, and I left "Queue" blank because I didn't know what it
was for.

When I tried to print something, it did the whole internet connect
thing, then appeared to send the page to the printer. The printer even
woke up and started warming up, so I thought it was going to work. But
nothing printed, and on subsequent tries (with the printer awake),
there is no response from the printer.

What am I doing wrong, or is this the zero file size issue you
mentioned?

Michael