Re: [NTLK] My Newton progress

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_telebyte.nl)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 14:52:19 PDT

On 27-apr-04, at 23:03, David Neale wrote:
> This was a reply to a new Newton user. I count myself as just such a
> user, too. Perhaps other newbies are a tad mystified by terms such as
> memory management, heaps, soups and freezing. Any chance of an
> explanation?

Sounds like it's time to visit the FAQ (link at the bottom of this
page).
The Newt has memory on-board of which it uses part as Heap (think RAM
in a desktop) and part as storage (like a hard drive).

The only thing that uses heap are applications/packages that are
actively loaded, so you can have an almost endless amount of apps on
your Newt as long as you have them all active.

The way to keep the apps you don't need right away inactive os by
'freezing' them, Freeze Utilities is known to be the most elegant
solution for this, there are others though...

Freeze Utilities is freeware and can be downloaded at:
http://www.standalone.com/newtonos/index.shtml

Robert Benschop