Re: [NTLK] My Newton progress

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 14:11:18 PDT

On Apr 27, 2004, at 2:03 PM, David Neale wrote:

>> From: Robert Benschop <rbenschop_at_telebyte.nl>
>> Subject: Re: [NTLK] My Newton progress
>> Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:23:58 +0200
>>
>> In general it's a good idea to freeze all unused packages to keep as
>> much heap as possible, on a 2000 this is paramount.
>> In case you're using GPS you're better off with a 2000, all other
>> applications are better off on a 2100.
>>

>> Robert Benschop
>
> This was a reply to a new Newton user. I count myself as just such a
> user, too. Perhaps other newbies are a tad mystified by terms such as
> memory management, heaps, soups and freezing. Any chance of an
> explanation?

It seems all programs that are currently installed on your Newton
consume some space in the Newtons "main" memory which is also known as
heap...

So if you have a lot of stuff installed, some of which you don't use
too often (if ever) you can use a freeze utility to inactivate those
programs, so they don't use any heap space. This allows Newton to run
better. If you need to unfreeze apps, it's basically an extra tap or
two...

Marty