Re: [NTLK] About the list (was: [ANN] TON vacation)

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_telebyte.nl)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 01:22:47 PDT

On 26-apr-04, at 23:34, Allan Ngaparu wrote:
>> Rich Wrote: among other things..
>> I feel like this is less of a community than it was 3-4 years ago.
> Well I wasn't on this list three or four years ago but a better
> community of
> technical expertise, help, support and friendship would be hard to find
> anywhere else.

As a long time member, I'm pretty sure OT discussion are taking over
more than they used to, both in frequency and scope.
As for an example of the aggression, I've been attacked off-list at
some point that I was the reason somebody was leaving the list.
Thanks god for the list stats (!) which gave me the chance to point out
that this didn't make sense at all (I think I was the second top poster
with 99 messages on a total of 2581 that month) moreover the same
person is now one of the top posters in off-topic discussions, live is
ironic ;-)

Seriously, personal attacks seem to have gotten worse while respect for
oldies seems to have gone out of the backdoor.
Seen the fact that Rich probably got the most abuse of any of us at the
time the list moved from Planet Newton to Victor/Unna I can understand
that he's more sensitive for it.

As a whole it might be a reminder for all of us to play nice and at all
times and to try to keep the OT a bit within reasonable limits.

Robert Benschop