[NTLK] LPR Printer Driver

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 11:58:19 PDT

Hello all,

I've put together some sort of LPR printer driver which might work or
not (I don't have a printer). It seems to send things just fine to my
Linux LPR server which is running LPRng, but things just vanish at work
where an unknown printer server is used. The one and only definite
requirement the LPR driver has is that it sends files with zero length,
some printer servers cannot handle this (although this is allowed by
the LPR spec).

Anyway, the thing is at http://40hz.org/Experiments/. Usage is pretty
simple, install both packages in the .sit archive, use LPR Setup to add
the printer server and queue (alternatively, the printer address and
"lp" as the queue name) and select the printer via the printer slip
(the printer is shown in the list of regular printers, not network
printers). I'd be glad to hear some feedback.

Eckhart