Re: [NTLK] SE p800/900 (was Newton Web Browsers)

From: David Arnold (arnold_at_dstc.edu.au)
Date: Sun Apr 25 2004 - 18:26:11 PDT

-->"Doug" == Doug Augustyn <optix_at_six5535.org> writes:

  Doug> No, it uses "CICs JotPro" and it really is
  Doug> _terrible_. Apparently the new Palm devices are going to be
  Doug> using it too due to the outcome of a recent law-suit.

my wife replaced her Palm Zire with a Tungsten-E last weekend. It
uses "Grafitti 2", which appears to be basically the same as my P800's
Jot, although the writing area is divided sideways rather than
vertically.

i haven't found it "_terrible_" -- while it's much faster to recognise
individual characters than the mp2k, i think the overall entry speed
is slower. having to move around the entry area to change from lower
case to upper case to numbers also slows things down. and my accuracy
is probably slightly lower than when using the newt.

the real difference is the general OS UI. Newton OS is so much better
as a handheld user interface than Symbian/UIQ, imo.