[NTLK] Jobs: "Computers have keyboards" - iPod: "Nyaa nyaa"

From: Brian Link (blink_at_visi.com)
Date: Fri Apr 16 2004 - 08:47:45 PDT

My first posting to the list, and it's a whine I'm afraid. I just read
how shipping iPod units have surpassed shipping computers, and was
reminded of Steve Jobs' famous quote on the Newton: "We make computers.
Computers have keyboards. Where's the keyboard?"

Well Steve, guess what, there's no keyboard on an iPod. And it's even
less a computer than the Newton was. Now I realize the nuking of the
Newton was more about a personal grudge than philosophy, but I wish
someone would ask him about that quote sometime - and why he's allowed
the company to be so undermined by the ridiculously successful iPod -
taken off their course of making niche computers for an ever-dwindling
segment of the marketplace. In the meantime, the terrible Palm interface
and bloated Windows CE machines have eaten a lunch that should have been
Newton's.

Bah.

BLink
http://www.discant.com/penmuseum