Re: [NTLK] Screen cleaning and battery questions

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Thu Apr 15 2004 - 16:29:12 PDT

> I have a question regarding the screen on a 2000.
> The bottom two thirds has a fair amount of light
> scratching, with some parts with gaps in the
> scratching. Unfortunately when you write in this section,
> the print on the screen is about 2-5mm above the point
> of the pen or there is no print on the screen at all
> (when writing).
> Anybody know how to polish the screen up? There
> does not seem to be a screen protector film on it.

There are different types of polish paste to do this. I
always use K3 polish because it comes with a special cloth
and is the most effective paste while still being kind of
gentle to the display. Be aware that with polishing the
display you will remove the antireflective coating to a
certain degree. This is why polishing only parts of the
display won't work, you'd simply trade small scratches
for large spots with different contrast and reflective
behavior.

You should also be aware that the misalignment problem
you mention will in all likeliness not be fixed by
polishing the display. This is an ailment that afflicts
only 2x00 displays, and it can and does afflict like-new
displays, too. You can compensate this problem to a certain
degree by cheating during the calibration sequence. Depending
on where the misaligned area is you need to tap slightly off
the center of the X that is closest to that area.
Don't ask me which direction, I always
forget this. But the orientation is the same, e. g. in your
case with the alignment offset vertically you'd need to tap
either above or below the center of the X.

> My other question is in regards to the battery. If I have
> left the Newton for a couple of hours, when it restarts it
> says the battery was dead and restores everything.

By "restarts" do you mean "when you turn it on"?

> I know the battery is not dead as it has not been on
> the charger and the charger is not plugged in when I
> restart it!

But the Newton might think that it has been dead between
now and the last time you switched it off. This happens
occasionally when the battery contacts inside the Newton
are misaligned.

> Any ideas? Stick it on charge for a day or 2?

I doubt that that would change anything.

Good luck

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de