[NTLK] Newton Wireless T-Mobile at Starbucks

From: David Deranian (deranian_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 22:40:51 PDT

Hello Everybody-

I work from home and spend many hours sequestered in my digital dungeon
under dim light working in Photoshop mostly. I don't mind doing so when
we're having our usual gray and dismal New England weather, but as
things get warmer and sunnier, I do whatever I can to get out of here
so I can absorb some natural sunlight. That's where the Newton comes
in. Whenever I just need to catch up on email or create an invoice, or
do anything that can be accomplished on my Newton, I take the
opportunity to work outside or on my porch to enjoy the sunshine.

I have an Airport network at home, and the Newton works beautifully all
over my house and yard. Recently however, I signed up for T-Mobile's
wireless network that's available at Starbucks all over the country.
There happens to be a Starbucks within walking distance from my house,
and I was thinking it would be nice to walk up there on a nice day and
be able to connect with just my Newton, without lugging my Powerbook
along. Is there anyone out there that's had success doing that? I don't
know if it's possible, since I'm aware that in order to get online to
T-Mobile's network, it's necessary to sign on through a website
interface which makes you put in your username and password. From that
point, you're online and ready to go.

Is this something I could do with Newtscape? Is it a https secure site,
in which case Newtscape won't be able to access it? With a standard Mac
or Windows laptop, when you launch your browser, it automatically takes
you to the sign-on page. I'm pretty sure this would not happen with
Newtscape. You'd have to manually bookmark that page so you could put
in your user name and password.

Anyway, if any of you folks do this on a regular basis and have figured
out a way to log into the T-Mobile network with your Newton, I'd sure
appreciate some advise on how I can do it also. Thanks,

--
David Deranian
Digital Arts & Sciences, Inc.