Re: [NTLK] Erratic ping over wireless

From: Adam Short (ajs_at_orinoco.homelinux.org)
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 11:03:36 PDT

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 11:56:27AM -0700, Martin Joseph wrote:

> Sorry I haven't been much help for your problem, but it's kind of hard
> to trouble shoot without being there.
>
> Several possibilities arise.
>
> 1) The emate itself has something else going on that slows things down
> intermittently (like looking for IR). Any timed task or running
> program could cause this. PT100 itself could be stalling.
>
> 2) the wireless network is having signal issues. Do you have another
> computer with wireless access that you can use as a signal strength
> meter? This would allow you to be sure the area where you are using
> the Newt is covered. Although I presume you have tried getting real
> close to the base?
>
> Also, did you day which base you were using?

The base is a solwise WAP-011A. I've sat right next to it and done tests
and they still come out horribly erratic. Unfortunately the emate is
the only machine I currently have to test with. As far as I know, the
emate is doing nothing besides whatever I have running (in this case,
just pt100). I'm new to newtons in general so I don't really know what
timed tasks there could be. I did have some trouble with the dates
application flinging reminders at me incessantly, until I
(painstakingly) deleted them all. Ever tried deleting reminders when
there's one popping up every half second? Could that have something to
do with it? If I've not got them all, or it's looking for data that's no
longer there?

Also, it's not just pt100 that's slow, though that was the only app I
could get any kind of stats out of. Chatbuddy also runs slow (though I
can't test that anymore since the trial ran out and I haven't found out
how to register it) and email, while it *is* quicker than the ping times
would seem to indicate it should be, still isn't as quick as I would
expect.

I know it's a pain trying to troubleshoot problems without having access
to the machine (believe me, I do enough of it myself :)), but if there's
anything you can think of, please let me know. I'd like to think it
could be faster than this, but I don't have the experience with the
machine to work out how.

--
Adam Short - ajs at orinoco dot homelinux dot org