Re: [NTLK] Multiple format etext sources; pages for Newton ebook- and raw etext-libraries at the Wiki (was Re: NewtonBook creation)

From: L A GREEN (lagoff11_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 08:38:58 PDT

COOL another site for us to make books from. we have so many at this point we should almost make a group of bookmakers either by site or by subject and make as many of these books into newtbooks for us all to use. i havent made any in a while but id be willing to be a librarian if we do decide to do that. basically what im thinking is this. say there are 5 sites with etext we could assign maybe 2 people to each site to start creating books from that site and if any one wanted a book that wasnt made yet they could always do a request. or we could assign 3 people to one site to go thru each subject and make maybe 5-10 books each and add them to unna. within a years time our library could be immense. every subject touched, any author at our green fingertips. it makes more sense to make it a group effort rather than everyone trying to make books on their own or just not doing it at all, but wanting a book made just the same. good idea everyone?
DJ Vollkasko <DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net> wrote:
> > Now, I do know of a location on the web (can't
> > remember the name of it right now, but I'm sure that
> > someone else will chime in with the name) that will
> > create various book formats on the fly.
>
>/That's/ interesting. Anyone else know about this?

Check out http://www.intertext.com:

"InterText is a free, on-line quarterly fiction magazine. It publishes
material ranging from mainstream stories to fantasy to horror to science
fiction to humor. InterText has been publishing continuously on the Net
since March of 1991.
InterText publishes in
Setext (ASCII text which
can also be read as styled text with a Setext browser),
PostScript (laser printers),
PDF (for Adobe's
Acrobat portable document viewer),
Newton Book,
Palm DOC, HTML, and other
formats." (from http://www.intertext.com/about.html).

Or maybe it's

Alex Catalogue of Electronic Texts

(http://www.infomotions.com/alex/): "Another unique feature of the
Catalogue is the on-the-fly creation of PDF (Portable Document Format)
files. Using this option you can specify things like fonts and font sizes
for your output." (from http://www.infomotions.com/alex/about.shtml)

There may be others that offer multi-format ebooks on the fly/readily
available for free. Hopefully other will chime in.

Cheers,

DJV.

P.S.: All you bookish Newtonians might want to take a peek at
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/AvailableNewtonLibraries and
enter your fave source of existing Newton eBooks.
Oh, and pls. do the same here
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/EtextSources for raw,
unNewtonized etexts of any flavour.