[NTLK] Adhoc wireless - Newton & PC Laptop (or otherwise)

From: Blair Rosser (newton_at_7thfloormedia.com)
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 23:00:04 PDT

Okay. I'm stumped...

With a great tip from Jim Siburt (and a driver compliments Jim and Paul
Guyot), I purchased two Proxim Harmony OEM cards (C28-1076 P) from
TigerDirect hoping (at long last) to get in on the wireless revolution.
I've got one installed in my laptop, and it is doing what a good
wireless card should do - seeking out and finding a network and
connecting to it. That is, when I set it to infrastructure mode, seek
out an acces point, then connect to it. DHCP works fine.

The Newton, however, is not able to perform the same trick with the same
settings: "DHCP server unavailable or unable to configure." No WEP, no
SSID, infrastructure mode, set for DHCP.

However, this is minor nuisance - not being able to connect to a
configured network that my PC *can* connect to. What I'd really like to
do is have my Newton connect to my PC (running WinXP home edition) using
the adhoc setting and bridge this connection to "wired" gigabit LAN
connection.

Should I be able to do this, or am I expecting too much from the current
state of the wireless software on the Newt? Or, could it be a WinXP
config issue.

Thanks for any help,
blair

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html