Re: [NTLK] Philz and Ongoing projects

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 01:26:17 PDT

Il me semble que le 9/09/03 à 18:14 -0500, Woody Smith nous racontait:
>I know that there are a number of projects going on at any time in
>support of the Newton platform.
>Andre's Magazine, Paul's ATA driver and Escale, Grants Newtons around
>the world, Davids SER-001, Eckhart's Courier and more than I can think
>of.
>
>Would folks that are working on an ongoing Newton Project, please take
>a moment to write a few lines about what you are doing or what you have
>done for us.

You want a summary of our projects?

What I have on my shelf:
- various newtApp based applications (LearnFast, Quotes, Fortunes)
- enhancements to Avi's BD
- NPDS 2.x with multiple connections and various other enhancements
- alterations (I wouldn't say enhancements) to Waba
- localization & recognition tools (dictionaries, kits, alt.rec....)
- NewtonOS bug fixes (NewtWorks memory leak & system patch)
- Port of Zlib
- Misc utilities (euro installer, KB Backlight & WideCardFile, two
patches I had forgotten)

What I have on my desk:
- DCL, a library & framework to communicate with a Newton through the
Dock application and handle Newton Data. This is a project led by
Michael Vacìk, Nicolas Zinovieff and I. Michael is currently working
really hard for his daily job and Nicolas is finishing his Master's
thesis. Please note that DCL != Escale. Escale is just a *sample*
code of the capabilities of the DCL.
- ATA Support, a software to use ATA cards in Newtons.

What I have in my trash (but that I may resurrect one day)
- Semi-working Port of TidyLib.
- Internet-related native code.
- Many other stuff that never left my hard drive because I'm lazy and
I'm not fond of writing documentation and web pages.

What I have in my bag:
- NewtBib, an application to handle references compatible with bibtex.
- NPDS 3.x
- A new release of Avi's BD
- A new release of LearnFast
- a secret project, which no one thought about except the folks
involved (I will just be a contributor).
- another secret project, which would solve a long-time issue.
- yet another secret project, which would solve a problem that is
more recent than the previous one, although I know someone else has
been working/is working on something similar.
- yet yet another secret project, 42.

I'm particularly grateful of Michael's Vacìk's artwork and the
various suggestions/remarks/help I received. Victor also did
contribute to Fortunes. Please note that Waba, NPDS and Avi's
Backdrop aren't projects of mine, I just contributed. In fact, all
this work couldn't have been done without the support of the
community.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/