Re: [NTLK] Two questions

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 22:00:51 PDT

on 03/09/03 22:57, Mick Ring at lists_at_rynosoft.com wrote:

> I have recently acquired the responsibility of taking donated Newtons and
> preparing them for use by underpriviliged individuals or organizations.
> Today I got seven 2100's with a variety of accessories. As a part of the
> donation agreement, I must wipe these Newtons of all the data from their
> previous owners. My first question is: Is the "brain wipe" the closest thing
> to a low-level format for a Newton?
>
> Among the accessories were four rechargeable battery packs. One appears to
> be in working order, one doesn't seem to take a charge (level never goes up)
> and the Newton tells me that other two need to be replaced ("Fault" is
> displayed in the Extras drawer). Is there anything I can do with the latter
> three batteries?

Yes, the "brain wipe" will bring them back to factory defaults. As for your
faulty battery packs, I don't think there is much you can do about them. You
might want to refurbish them following the instructions that Frank Gruendel
had put up on his web site <http://www.pda-soft.de/english.html>.

-Laurent.

frag n.,v.: [from Vietnam-era U.S. military slang via the games Doom and
Quake] 1. To kill another player's avatar in a multiuser game. "I hold the
office Quake record with 40 frags." 2. To completely ruin something. "Forget
that power supply, the lightning strike fragged it. See also gib.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html