Re: [NTLK] GPS PC Cards ?

From: Roman Pixell (roman_at_pixell.net)
Date: Mon Sep 01 2003 - 02:02:28 PDT

> From: Norman Palardy <palardyn_at_shaw.ca>
>
> Stumbled across a few PC cards that I'm wondering if anyone's looked at
>
> http://mightygps.com/pccard.htm
> http://www.deluo.com/Merchant2/
> merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DE&Product_Code=GPSCFD&Category_Code
> =
> GR

i would pick some CF card, they generally draw less power than a
PCMCIA. (not because of the size, but because PCMCIA is often using
older technology/chipsets)

> I guess the other option is an external GPS receiver like one of the
> Garmin units however, I have no idea which one might be a good choice.

i think this one might be a good pick:
<http://www.deluo.com/Merchant2/
merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DE&Product_Code=GPSS&Category_Code=GR
>, especially if youve got the SER-001 installed.

an external receiver has many other good features that a card might not
have.

also, a used receiver might prove better value.

> Seems this comes up frequently but there no FAW that I can find.
> Or is there ?

there is one cooking. it will be announced soon at NTLK

/ roman

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html