Re: [NTLK] A Close call how to spot an Ebay Scammer - The Aussie Idiot's Guide

From: Damien Batstone (djb_at_er.dtu.dk)
Date: Thu Oct 30 2003 - 00:02:14 PST

>>On 10/30/03 @ 4:09 PM , Daniel Wignall wrote:
>>
>>Last night as the new Sony Ericsson p900 had just been released I
>>thought I would try and buy a few for resale in Oz.
>>
>><Big Snip>
>>
>>I awoke in the morning with an email from another seller.
>>
>>"do not bid on this item (providing me a link to my beloved P900's) the
>>seller listed has hacked into the ebay server and hijacked my user name.
>>Next came the email from Ebay (auction Alert) do not pay any money to
>>this seller nor complete the transaction in any way.the user has obtain
>>unauthorised access to the ebay system and is not the authentic user.
>
>Thanks for the story/information.
>
>If it sounds too good to be true, then maybe it is.

Unless of course, it's a mint MP2100 in a junk shop for $5.

I got stung when 21 for $AUD 1300 in the stupidest way possible. A forged
cheque from a bank that didn't exist (anymore). They must put something in
the water in Australia. I look on it as an expensive (but probably
worthwhile) lesson now.

Cheers,

Damien

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html