[NTLK] Names: Error on opening the Application(-48402)

From: Richard G. DAVIS (msys1_at_charter.net)
Date: Sat Oct 18 2003 - 13:59:53 PDT

Hello all....

Well, I finally have a worthless NAMES function on my MP2100.

I had used Newtourage to move the NAMES data into my Macintosh under
Entourage. Afterward, the Newton Names functions were glacial in their
responsiveness.

I examined the soup with SBM utilities and discovered that my 900 plus name
soup had actually over as manny as 6,000+ 'entries' in it. Many of these
entries were invisible to the NAMES application. However, the entries were
visible in the soup editor RAGOUT v2.2.

There were THOUSANDS of entries with a frame for 'names' that contained no
other 'names' data at all, just nulls in the 'names' frame. Hundreds of
other entries contained 'name' values like "John,John", or "Greg,Greg".
Those entries with double names like this would be duplicated 2, 5, 13, 22,
of more times each.

I managed to find these double name entries by sorting the NAME data within
the 'Names' application by the first name values. The application was
successfully used to delete all of these spurious 'double' name entries.

Next, I attacked the entries with the 'null' name frame values. I used the
NAMES application to sort the 'NAMES' entries by the class of entry--PERSON
or COMPANY. This revealed the entries with 'null' name frame values. I
then selected all of the entries visible in one screen that had null name
values and deleted them. Then I did this a second time with the next set of
displayed entries. At that point I got the error (-48402).

Now, anyway I try to use the NAMES application I get the error (-48402). It
appears that my 'names' soup is corrupted to the point that the application
can't start up.

The SBM integrity check does not show any problems. In Ragout, I can still
see the entries, with the spurious entries created by NEWTOURAGE readily
visible.

I suspect that the 'names' application is failing due to some corruption in
the 'names' soup, perhaps in the index system. Does anyone know how to get
the native Newton 'names' application to reindex the 'names' soup?

Any suggestions as to how to repair this names system?

Thanks,

Richard.

--
Richard Davis