Re: [NTLK] Hierarchic order

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 00:52:37 PDT

>From: Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net>
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] Hierarchic order
>
>DJ Vollkasko wrote:
>
> > I've subscribed the digest - how am I supposed to reply, since I don't get
> > the individual messages mailed? If I'd reply to the digest, I reckon
> that'd
> > be daft.
>
>Well, that's one of the trade-offs you get with a digest subscription: a
>bunch
>of messages in one message is easier for some people to read, but harder to
>reply to. Maybe you'd be better off with a standard (individual message)
>subscription?

No, I'd be swamped by mails. I already get loads (and not all Spam - my
freemail-provider GMX does an okay job of filtering, plus I run Spamnix
locally).

> > Which mailprograms DO work? This here is Eudora 5.2.1 .
>
>I'm not sure which do work. I'm almost certain that if you click on the link
>through IE for Windows, it will strip any headers it doesn't recognize before
>passing it to the mail client.

Ah, this here is Netscape 7.1, not IE.

> > Or are there somewhere neat tools for displaying mailing lists in
> > hierarchical order on one's (Win-)client and replying EXACTLY to what you
> > wanted to reply to?
>
>There are some tools out their for handling e-mail digests. I can't seem to
>dig them up in the archives though.

Anybody else got a hint on this?

> > DJ Vollkasko wrote:
> >
> >> I've subscribed the digest - how am I supposed to reply, since I
> >> don't get
> >> the individual messages mailed? If I'd reply to the digest, I reckon
> >> that'd
> >> be daft.
>
>From: James Johnston <jimthej_at_mac.com>
>
>On most email clients, if you highlight (select) the part you wish to
>reply to, then hit the reply button, it will quote only that part.

Good thought. That's what I'll do from now on - but will it save the
hierarchical issue?

>From: "Eric L. Strobel" <fyzycyst_at_comcast.net>
>
>Just PLEASE change the subject line to something meaningful. I've got my
>e-mail set up to automatically filter out messages that have subjects like
>'Re: Newtontalk Digest', since I can't very well tell if I want to read it
>from looking at the subject. I think many who don't read in digest form
>find subject lines like that irritating, although the level of irritation
>varies widely.

I'll try to always think of it, thanks for the pointer.

Cheers + thanks for all the kind advice,

DJV.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html