Re: [NTLK] THANKS FOR IGNOREING MY QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sat Nov 22 2003 - 04:09:36 PST

>Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 18:32:34 -0800 (PST)
>From: Eric Engle <engleerica_at_yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] THANKS FOR IGNOREING MY QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>[...] Seriously, a few days ago I asked some questions about the 120 vs.
130 that
>were not in the faq. Nary a peep from anyone, so I know what you're talking
>about.
>
>[...] For example, the hot dog song question I asked several months ago, and
>got no response at all. This time I got not just an answer but a nice little
>newton package that does almost exactly what I want.

Right on, Eric, I found the same level of uncalculateable responsiveness
amongst NTLK list members, both on and off list. Since I joined this list,
I posted some inquiries, and for some I got no or no helpful replies, on
some it was really humbling to what extend fellow Newtonians went to aid
me, both on and off list.

As for getting no replies on this mailing list - it's very simple to
explain, I think. This isn't a forum or BBS (is there anywhere a Newton
forum/board that still shows any lifesigns at all?). You post a question,
it gets sent to zillions of subscribers who may or may not read it and who
also may or may not be in the possession of (a) the knowledge needed to
solve the riddle, and (b) have the time ressources needed to reply in
depth. And at some times, the knowledge to answer something may simply not
available in the community (folks being on holiday or not reading the
digest for a couple days), maybe again a couple weeks later, maybe never.
    NTLK is a very fleeting medium, even more than running an ad in a daily
paper - if you don't get replies within 24 hours, your question is already
forgotten and deleted from Newtonia's collective consciousness. And any
stuff posted on a weekend seems to have much less chances to get a
meaningful answer, at least that's my impression; most folks seem to read
and reply off their campus and company networks, not out of their own
leisure time.

If NTLK doesn't do the job, one might as well use the searcheable archive
and try to identify folks who seem to be core knowledge bearers in the area
in question. Mail them directly and politely, and wait and see what
beautiful things may or may not happen.
    There are listers who don't reply any mails you send them, others reply
only every third or fourth - from this I take they either have extremely
tight Spam filters, don't check their mails often, don't feel comfortable
around folks with crappy handles or feel they are too busy to reply to
every single moron in orbit. Still, I wouldn't think any worse of them nor
yell at them, they's probably decent folk and it's just circumstances
preventing timely replies - so no offence taken.
    And others again truly have the patience of the enlightened, and they
smile with understanding and compassion upon the puny worries and sorrows
of even the most pityful newbies, providing help and support to a level
that is almost embarrassing.

Tip o' the Day for Eggbertman: Keep yer cool, you might need it. ;=} Plus
it's good if you can give something back to the community, not only take
from it.

Good vibes and peace to all the tribes of Newtonia,

yer ole pal 'Kasko.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html