Re: [NTLK] Who Wants Shell Access?

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 12:11:00 PST

> On Monday, November 17, 2003, at 10:15 PM, Brian wrote:

> GoFetch Shell does work and I used it
> It has some limitations; IIRC,
> it WILL have problems receiving.
> You will lose data after
> perhaps 10 or 15 incoming messages.
> Sending always worked fine.

This is exactly correct, sending is fantastic...flawless!

I have not had to download more than 8 messages at one time yet. BUT I HAVE
been pretty stable with receiving mail using the PCIMCA modem. It trod's
along at a very slow and stable 2400 Baud :-/.

Size of messages are definitely a concern. Messages from the NewtonTalk
list average 4K-10K each (once on the Newton), Tidbits is about 25K-30K.
Setting the Preference to "Don't Download Messages > 25K" is probably a
good thing to do for saving memory (if not processing sanity) on the
Newton.

My Newton has about 320K free on it's internal Flash RAM. Although I do
have an external 2MB Flash Card, the only stable modem I've been able to
use to connect to my shell server, is the PCMCIA Newton Fax Modem Card.
Unfortunately, that takes up the slot. With 320K free, you can quickly
download enough mail to put you in that "Low RAM Danger Zone."

For "on the road" "quick and dirty" sending of email. The PCMCIA Modem
works great. If I wanted to sit down at a desk in the hotel room and really
email "to my hearts content"...I would want a (reliable) EXTERNAL modem,
with plenty of free space on the additional Flash RAM card.

> I used my MP130 with shell access for quite some time (about 2 years)
> and ended up using pt100 and running pine in the terminal window.

I WOULD like to try PT100 next, I'm also interested in using EETransfer to
script my shell account.

> And for the guy who was having problems setting up the modems

That's me...see the other thread I started, I will be posting more
observations from testing I've done, later today.

> check your cables and jacks, it sounds like you are getting
> noise from somewhere, increase your AT command for loss of carrier
> timeout perhaps. (??? Hmmm, I have to try that)
> I have used a variety of faster modems, internal and
> external, on my 2100 and 130 and not seen that

GV Platinum Teleport X2/v.90
USRobotics Sportster Voice 33.6 Faxmodem

I'm able to use the same modems, the same modem cables, on the same phone
lines, connected to my regular computers. Its when I try to use them on the
external serial port of the Newton 120 that I get dismal results.

Thanks for your comments!

Ron

--
Sent using GoFetch for the Newton