Re: [NTLK] USB to serial converter question

From: Andre Garzia (soapdog_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 07:12:08 PST

On Nov 17, 2003, at 2:51 PM, Dan wrote:

> Well as I said it is a PC (intel baised). And as to the question about
> using a PCI card, well all my card slots are currently full. And I
> don't
> use the USB ports much, so I was hoping to find a nice compatiable
> adapater.
> Btw, I realize that most people on the list have Macs :) But I thought
> perhaps a few PC users might have an idea.....or that a Mac user might
> have
> "heard" something ;)
>

> -Dan

Dan,

I make heavy use of adapters like this on macs. If I can say something
for a PC users is... almost all adapters uses Prolific PL-2303 chipset,
there are lots of company out there selling their items but their
support sucks big time and sometimes the company vanishes to oblivion
and take their drivers with them (this happened to me). When faced with
  a problem like that in MacOS X, the solution/hax is to install another
app driver and "hack" it to think you're using a correct adapter (this
is, changing the drivers VendorID and other settings in it's internal
plist file). I don't know if things such as that can be done in
Windows/*NIX, but you should catch a driver before buying your adapter,
trust me, it's a very depressing experience to buy an adapter and
figuring out that the driver for your computer is missing.

What I heard is that keyspan adapters are the best, and the rest just
make the melting pot.

Hope it helps
Andre

> --