Re: [NTLK] Dead 2100

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 10:00:04 PDT

Hey Laurent,
Sorry to hear about your Newt...I know what you're
going through.
With me, it was several things from the vibrations and
jarring of trekking through a bunch of airplanes and
luggage scanners.
It looks like you're not going to get away without
opening up the Newt.
Three things to check:
1) of course, the ROM card. A sudden jolt or bump may
have dislodged it. If it isn't completly seated, it
could be the culprit
2) the power wires. While extremly difficult to
disconnect if you want them disconnected, they have an
uncanny ability to do just the oposite when you least
expect. (I dabbed a little hot-melt glue on all my
connectors)
3) while probably not a problem with yours, I had a
broken solder joint on my acelerated crystal. If the
crystal is not connected, the Newt will not turn on at
all.

Sometimes it takes an issue like this to remind all of
us how imporant backups are...
To everyone trying to backup with NCU or whatever...I
can not stress the convenience of using memory cards
to backup internal memory. You'll still need NCU to
backup any memory cards you have inserted, but if
you're like me, all critical stuff is on internal
memory. Stuff on my card, while not entirely a joyful
occurance, would not cause undue hardship if lost.
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Laurent Daudelin <laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com>
wrote:
> On 29/05/03 11:24, "Frank Gruendel"
> <fg2_at_pda-soft.de> wrote:
>
> >> I know, reset, hard reset, leaving the unit
> powerless for a couple of
> > hours,
> >> nothing brought it back to life. I still have my
> spare unit, but my
> > most
> >> recent backup is about a week old, so I'd like to
> retrieve the latest
> > data
> >> and bring it back to life.
> >
> > Laurent,
> >
> > although you followed all the good advice given on
> this list already,
> > please make sure that you follow the procedure I
> recommend on my 2x00
> > disassembly page literally, character by single
> character. I can provide
> > you with email addresses of people who weren't
> able to resurrect their
> > Newtons because they followed the procedure MORE
> OR LESS, but were
> > successful when they followed it EXACTLY AS
> DESCRIBED.
> > If that doesn't help, open the Newton, rip out the
> ROM board, check the
> > contacts and put it back in. If this doesn't help,
> either, you can send
> > it my way and I can have a look at it for free. It
> wouldn't be the first
> > where I was at least able to save the data.
> > Looking, and saving data, is free for list members
> as usual. If I can
> > repair it, we might be able to work something out.
> > The disassembly and reset instructions are, as
> usual, at
> >
> > http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassemble.html
> >
> > Good luck
> >
> > Frank

=====
- Albert Einstein's last words were in German. Since the attending
nurse did not understand German, his last words will never be known.