[NTLK] Connection options

From: Dylan Stewart (rxs015500_at_utdallas.edu)
Date: Thu May 15 2003 - 22:45:50 PDT

First of all, some specs of my PowerBook:
5300c (yes, the flaming PowerBook)
System 8.1 installed and working perfectly (as far as I can tell)
16 MB of RAM with 21 more of virtual memory
800 MB HD, 137 MB of which are free
Open Transport 1.3 is present and loaded
AppleTalk is present and loaded
File Sharing is inactive

I just got my PowerBook 5300c working perfectly. However, it refuses to
connect with my 2100. I can't find any reason for this. There are no
errors other than the whole "The connection was stopped because there was no
response" from the dock. It's as though the two weren't even connected.

The AppleTalk computer chooser thing on the Newton doesn't see the PowerBook
at all. I've given it 10 minutes, and there was no change

As far as I can tell, it isn't a hardware fault. However, I can't exactly
test my 5300's serial port because I don't have anything else that uses a
serial port at all. Perhaps the serial port is shot and I can't tell.

What is needed for IrDA with Newton DIL Tester? IRTalk seems to work fine,
but whenever I try to switch to IrDA, it beeps and doesn't tell me anything.

I got my ethernet card to work with both my Newton and my PowerBook, so I
could use that, but I only have one card.

As far as I can tell, all of the settings on both the 5300 and the Newt are
correct. I have the Newt's AppleTalk set to use LocalTalk and I have the
5300's AppleTalk set to use the Printer/Modem port when it's on. I don't
try to dock over serial while AppleTalk is using the port.

What's wrong with my setup? Anything obvious? This is the first Mac that
I've seriously used in years (last System I used was 7.5.3, back when it was
new), so it could be something completely obvious.

 Dylan Stewart AC5ZH

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html