Re: [NTLK] Two Questions...

From: don porter (don.porter_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 16:14:37 PDT

Here is what I remember.

When Apple decided to spin-off Newton the powers that be went looking for a=
 corporate identity. They hired the person who designed the original Newton=
 bulb. He had left apple and started his own firm in the city (SF). The o=
riginal Newton=E2=80=99s had the apple shaped badge. It was produced in Ja=
pan for Sharp the manufacture of the 2XXX series of Newton=E2=80=99s as wel=
l as the original Newton. When Newton Inc looked at a badge the round shap=
e worked best with the new Newton Inc logo. There was also some talk that =
we could add other companies branding if they had the bucks. By the time w=
e got the Newton Inc logo ready the rug was pulled out from us by Steve who=
 needed the seed money (20 M) back and the engineers/OP=E2=80=99s people. =
As it would take time and money and time to change the plastic top case too=
ling back to the apple shaped logo we decided to go with the round logo. =
We then went into a spaz trying to put an apple logo on a round badge. Mec=
hanical tolerances being what they are made it impossible to have the Apple=
 logo straight 100% of the time. There were only a handful of Newton=E2=80=
=99s built with the Newton Inc logo. They were hand built. And yes I have=
 two. Neener neener.