Re: [NTLK] WiFi printing from Newton without AppleTalk?

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 09:08:57 PDT

Il me semble que le 13/5/03 à 11:29 -0400, Ben Klang nous racontait:
>I'm not an OSX person, but since its a Un*x like OS, can you force the
>interface up, a la ifconfig?

I think it works indeed. At least it does for Ethernet.

I talked about this with Nicolas for Escale, it would be extremely
useful for direct connection via Ethernet since both the Newton and
the Mac power off the connection as soon as possible. The mac stays
up if there is an active device connected to the Ethernet plug.

But this requires that the user types in his admin password and this
is not very friendly. We already have issues with Rendezvous because
of routers, IP configuration of the Newton and other problems we
cannot figure out, I think Nicolas is right to consider that we
shouldn't add more issues by doing under the hood unix tricks.

Via Ethernet and with the Rendezvous TCP/IP or the AppleTalk dock
module, this is not really required since the Newton's ethernet card
remains powered until you cancel the connection or choose one of the
servers, so sooner or later, the Mac will realize that there is an
active Ethernet device and will keep its interface up, so the Newton
will be able to find it and connection could occur.

This is why the problem mostly happens with Airport where, as far as
I know, the Mac keeps the interface down until (a) it plays the role
of a base station and it has an active ethernet or modem interface to
route packets it gets from Airport or (b) it is hooked to an Airport
base station. I still have to figure out how to configure the mac in
Ad hoc mode and make it talk with the Newton.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/
Apache: http://www.kallisys.com/