Re: [NTLK] HEAP Questions!

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 21:28:03 PDT

on 5/11/03 11:17 PM, Joey & Susan's Primary Hotmail "23112" at
seidell23112_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> 1. What is the maximum amount of HEAP obtainable with an MP 2100?
    About 450K, but that's with virtually no packages loaded. Each package
you install eats into heap, even when it's not in use (unless it's frozen).

> 2. What is the maximum amount of HEAP obtainable with an MP 2000?
    About 150, if memory serves _ again with nothing loaded.

> 3. What is the minimum amount of HEAP desireable to keep things a float on
> an MP 2100?
    Depends on what you want to do. You can get by with very little for word
processing. Internet apps like to have heaps of heap. 100K is a good number
to think of as an absolute minimum _ more is better though. I have about
310K of heap free on my 2100 and 120K free on my eMate.

> 4. What is the minimum amount of HEAP desireable to keep things a float on
> an MP 2000?
    Same as for 2100

> 5. Are there any HEAP management programs out there?
    Avi's backdrop.

> If so, what are there names and benefits to there usage?
    Avi's replaces notes as the backdrop and uses less heap. It also allows
you to reclaim unreleased heap with a tap.

> I understand that the MP 2100 has a HEAP advantage over all other MP's, but
> I am attemting to ascertain how much of an advantage and if it is worth
> upgrading as I believe that is the "ONLY" true benefit.
    The 2100 has the most heap. The 130 is next, followed by the 2000 and
eMate. The extra heap in the 2100 makes a BIG difference.

Peter

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html