[NTLK] Beginner's questions

From: Paul Skenazy (pskenazy_at_cats.ucsc.edu)
Date: Mon May 05 2003 - 08:18:37 PDT

I have an eMate 300. Works fine, battery fading. Use only for text
input and editing, so the other bells and whistles are not at stake
here.

Two questions:
I. I want to transfer data to my OS X [iBook]. When I try to set up
the Newton Utilities, my Classic environment is activated. Even that
would be OK but right now the Classic environment just won't
recognize the eMate when I try to do the transfers. Seems like the
software is in the iBook fine, but can't get the connection to
materialize. (I'm using a Belkin serial to USB that I have been
using with older machines, like the 3400c that I had pre-USB, pre-OS
X days.) So: what do I need to make this connection with OS X--in
terms of hardware? software?

2. From the time I got the machine, I've had trouble with the card
slot. The minute I try to put in a card (I've basically tried memory
cards), the machine just goes dead and I have to reset it. It resets
fine, starts working fine again, but somehow inserting the card sets
something off, or on. I had hoped to get around some of problem #1
above by using a card that I could put my SmartMedia into and then
use the SmartMedia USB transfer device I use with my digital camera.
But that's not working. Any thoughts about what is going on with the
card slot? Any fixes?

Thanks.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html