Re: [NTLK] iPod mutates - and a question

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sun May 04 2003 - 22:41:36 PDT

on 5/5/03 4:30 AM, Rick Ludwig at bensisko_at_mac.com wrote:

> Okay, the question is (because I am def to this): What is the
> difference? Is the music dulled (i.e. you can't hear all the sections
> of the orcestra)? I'm just curious.

Well, on my cheapo Cambridge Soundworks PC speakers w/ subwoofer, when I
listen to MP3s (at my encoding 160/VBR) the sound stage collapses vs the CD
or cassette. It's hard to explain, but the stereo separation is less, so the
sound stage sounds flatter. I use iTunes, and add a little processing to my
music, and that helps, but really, there is a difference. It's almost funny,
because my wife complains that I must be going deaf, because I often
misinterpret what I hear, but I can hear very subtle differences in music
that she doesn't. I tried to show her once, what I was describing, and she
couldn't hear it--and she calls me deaf. :-) So, it's possible that while
the differences are audible, they are not perceivable. Audio is still very
much a lot of "voodoo" of perception.

--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland