Re: [NTLK] Lucent WaveLan cards at $20

From: Mick Ring (lists_at_rynosoft.com)
Date: Sat Mar 29 2003 - 10:50:11 PST

on 3/28/03 22:18, John Acuff at jacuff1_at_earthlink.net wrote:

> On the subject of wireless, I have been considering going wireless on
> my Newt and PB3400, But I was wondering if I can get an Airport type
> card for my B&W G3 and use it as a "software" base station? Or do I
> need a router of some type and connect it to my network instead? If I
> need a base station of some type, what would be a good and inexpensive
> one to look for?

Hardware wireless routers are now so cheap that it would probably be cheaper
(and definitely easier) to buy a wireless router than turn your B&W into a
base station.

I recommend you monitor dealmac.com for a couple of weeks to get an idea of
where router prices are going. I have a Netgear MR314 which I like lots but
I think it's been replaced with the MR814.

BTW, you should be able to get a single card (like the above-mentioned
Lucent card) that will support your Newt and 3400. I'm using a Lucent for my
2100 and my Wallstreet. Of course, you can't use them at the same time.

-Mick

--
Sigs with a message suck!
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html