Re: [NTLK] Special treatment for newbies?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 13:34:46 PST

Quoting L A GREEN <lagoff11_at_yahoo.com>:

> I WAS under the distinct impression that is what happens when u sign up to
> the list. you get an automated email with info in it. i think i still
> have mine, i do and it is filled with information about where to go and

Yep, that's what I said. I'll have to revisit what this message says and
maybe revise it.

> where to look. plus a lil common sense goes a long way. goggle works, i
> used it before i found the list, actually i found the list while doing a
> newton search, and i continue to do newton searches when needed. not to
> point the fingers at any newbie in particular, but alot of the newbies ask
> first search never. before i joined this list i had done a few google

Well, yes. Since I've been living with the Internet (or BBSes) and computers
for half of my life, it's easy to forget that there's still a steep learning
curve for people being introduced to a new technology. OTOH, I've also been
teaching people how to deal with new technology for about the same amount of
time :) so I like to think I can help.

Search engines also scare people. Heck, Google still scares me sometimes with
some of its results. Like HHGTTG, you may get the answer, but was that the
right question to ask?

I'm thinking of creating a "welcome" page that would be linked via a big, bold
message on the NTLK front page. The "welcome" page would be something like
the NewtonNewbieGuide[1] but less structured. Hopefully its placement on the
NTLK front page would capture people *before* they subscribe to the list and
point them to the place to answer their question. Maybe something like a
manually-maintained FAQ-O-Matic, if anyone has ever encountered one of these.
I'll try to draft up a page like this on my train ride home (a good time to
master using nHTML).

[1]: http://misato.chuma.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/NewtonNewbieGuide

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html