Re: [NTLK] Newbie ?s on Storage Cards

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 18:20:39 PST

Rich Oliver wrote:
> Hey Howdy...
>
> I have a few questions about storage cards for my MP2100.
>
> 1. What kind of card should/can I get?

You can still get Linear cards, but they are mostly used. You can use a
CompactFlash card with an adapter and the ATA Support driver, which is
probably best "bang for the buck" but the driver isn't free.

> 2. Are the cards even available anymore?

Yes, check eBay. Make sure you're looking at Linear flash, not ATA! ATA
cards will work but with the driver:

http://www.kallisys.com/newton/ata/

> 3. What's the maximum size (mb) card the MP2100 can recognize?

I believe the maximum size for a Newton store is 256MB? Even if you used a
512MB ATA card, you can partition it into two stores so it would appear to the
newton as two virtual "cards"

The Wiki has a nice page about storage cards:

http://misato.chuma.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/FlashCards

The FAQ has more info, but it's a bit outdated - it doesn't mention the ATA
driver:
http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-hardware.html#IIB1

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html