Re: [NTLK] re [OT] Happy Canada Day!

From: Cheyanne & Randy (charan_at_camtel.net)
Date: Thu Jul 03 2003 - 19:06:00 PDT

Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 08:01:21 -0400
From: Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net>
Subject: Re: [NTLK] re [OT] Happy Canada Day!

lvr wrote:

> Grant
> Maybe you can fill us non-Canucks, or at least one ignorant, in on the
> significance of the day; like what happened (then)? (not as mundane as
> independence, is it?). Maybe something exciting like the French's
> Bastille
> day (BTW, do they celebrate it in Canada, or parts thereof, as well?).

And then Victor scribbled:

> I celebrate on Bastille Day, but that's only because it happens to be
> my
> birthday. *I* like to think of it as an entire nation celebrating for
> me, but
> that's just because I'm egocentric... :)

Newts,

        My wife and I and several close friends went out to celebrate
Cheyanne's fortieth birthday in one of our old college hangouts near
the University of Arkansas. We joked and drank beer until pretty late
(for us, anyway). Sometime, that same night, the Arkansas Razorback
basketball team won the national playoffs. The University of Arkansas
doesn't win too many national "anythings." Most of Fayetteville and
certainly most of the students at the UA came down to Dixon street to
celebrate. The street was closed and sports minded folks just wandered
about drinking, hugging, high fiving, drinking and shouting and
drinking for joy. It became a twenty-thousand or so person party that
went on almost to dawn.

        Cheyanne had had more than enough beer that night causing her to
imagined the turnout was for her birthday and missed the whole thing
about the national championship. She thought we managed a pretty damn
good surprise party for her big Birthday until she saw the news the
next morning ;-).

Happy Canada Day! (Late, I know).

Randy

--
Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.
H. L. Mencken