Re: [NTLK] Emate redux?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Jul 03 2003 - 07:25:59 PDT

Edward Humes wrote:

> The Alphasmart 3000 has been around for years and is best compared to
> the old Radio Shack TRS-80s -- both are indestructible and relatively
> low-tech, though the AlphaSmart is a considerable upgrade from the old
> Trash 80. My daughter used them in her third grade classroom as part of
> a writing program. I think they cost the school only $200 apiece, with
> a nearly full size keyboard, 8 line screen, built-in word processing
> suite, and simple interface to plug into the teacher's pc for
> downloading or printing. The kids dropped them, sat on them, batted
> them around -- and they kept working fine. Don't think a Palm or Emate
> is quite so robust...

I believe you're talking about the TRS-80 Model 100 and 102, right Ed?

Wasn't the eMate designed to survive being run over by a car? Or something?
    In any case, all that extra plastic isn't just for good looks - they were
designed to be durable. I guess they forgot to design some durability into
the display cable...

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html