Re: [NTLK] questions on Newton

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 21:33:13 PST

À (At) 22:32 -0500 29/01/03, Laurent Daudelin écrivait (wrote) :
> > what is the largest storage card that will work with the Newton?
>
>I'm not sure if anybody ever published a definitive answer to that, but,
>personally, I'm using a 32 MB flash RAM card. I know that others with the
>ATA driver have larger cards, but is the driver addressing all that space
>(128, 256 or 512 MB)?

The largest linear card that was known to work is 64 MB. However, the
owner of that card said that the Newton had troubles when two 64 MB
cards were in. Two 48 MB cards are ok.

There cannot be a bigger linear card compatible with the Newton
because it only works with regular linear cards that are limited by
PCMCIA specifications to 64 MB. Bigger linear cards and especially
128 MB linear cards use a special protocol that isn't compatible with
the Newton.

The limit of ATA Support is beyond the physical limit of current ATA cards.
If the Newton allows object IDs on 32 bits (it might only accept them
on 28 bits), this limit is currently 2^27*512 bytes which is 2^36
bytes, aka 64 TB, *per store*. (ATA Support let you partition cards
in several stores)
If the Newton only allows object IDs on 28 bits (i.e. if it needs to
express object IDs in the NewtonScript world), the limit is 2^32
bytes, aka 4 TB.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/