[NTLK] Followup on port door problem

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sun Jan 26 2003 - 10:15:31 PST

Hi all,

this answers more than one post to save bandwidth.

Yours truly said:

> since today I fixed my 6th touchscreen ribbon cable that was killed
> by a broken port door, I feel it is time for a warning.

Laurent asked:

>You didn't mention anywhere which model of Newton, but based on your
>description, I guess you're talking about the eMate, right?

Sorry for leaving that out. The eMate's port door is no problem whatsoever.
I was talking of the 2000/2100 models.

Robert asked...

>I think this is about a 2x00 as well, so what would be best Frank? Remove
>the port door altogether?

The digitizer cable would probably be relieved if you did. However, this would
mean leaving the serial port unprotected. I don't really think removal is necessary
as long as you always open the port door slowly and stop immediately if it feels
different from how it felt yesterday. After all, in order to remove the port door
you will have to take your Newton pretty much completely apart. Can be done
within less than 10 minutes if you have done this before, but if you haven't...

Cheers

Frank

-- Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html