Re: [NTLK] A Mostly Dead 2000

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 16:22:26 EST

> With the battery pack, I was able to do a hard reset... but the MessagePad
> still won't progress beyond half of the start up chimes.

Did you try every reset type outlined here?

http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassemble.html

If you did, and if you tried reseating the ROM board, you could try cleaning
the ROM board's conector pads with a pencil eraser. If that doesn't help, either,
I'd think your Netwon's main logic board is dead. I could sell you
a mainboard of a Newton 2100 if you are interested, or I could try to fix
your Newton. As usual for list members, the diagnosis is free. If I can't fix it, all
you pay is postage to Germany plus $10 postage for sending it back.

Frank

-- Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html