Re: [NTLK] signal to noise ratio, was Re: Forum?

From: Anton (anton_at_the-wire.com)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 09:21:18 EST

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 00:50, Pedro Hobbyfrazoo wrote:

> hi -
>
> well, i mostly lurk here, and often get hundreds of messages "behind"
> in my reading. but i hang in there and tend to the housekeeping,
> because despite the chaff there is a LOT of valuable content here.

Me too. 10,297 at the present count.

> so it comes down to some old saw about whether one is willing to be
> standing the heat, and using that to aid one's decision on whether or
> not to depart the venerable kitchen.

At lest with a list it comes to me and my mail filters file it for when
I \*can* read it.

> (and the example you picked wasn't the best one to select; it was
> merely ribbing between friends. in fact, again from the lurker's point
> of view, you can get to "know" the members of this **community**
> through their off-topic stuff - humor, politics, etc etc, so maybe the
> "noise" is what makes this place so good)

Indeed. And from their use of language and the way they express
themselves and their idioms and reasoning and off-the-cuff comments.

Its us lurkers that are the problem ....

/a