Re: [NTLK] WebXpress?

From: victor_at_newtontalk.net
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 09:03:57 EST

First of all, AvantGo was never a Newton product. It's totally integrated
into the Palm Sync conduit, which, understandably, only talks to Palms.

Second, WebXpress is darn old. PenTekk probably faded away like so many
other Newton software companies a while ago.

Third, Newt's Cape works great for caching web pages and the like. I use it
to download BBC World's "low graphics" version, as well as some Yahoo "WAP"
pages that I - ahem - discovered. You just create a bookmark, then you can
schedule it for a repeating time (ie. every day but weekends, at 5:30am is
what I do), tell it how many levels of links to follow (up to 3), pick
an NIE setup it should connect with, then just leave the Newt plugged in
at night. Works great for me. Here are the links that I use:

Yahoo's WAP home - works great with other browsers, including Newt's Cape
(hey, maybe Yahoo! mail people should try this out as well!)
http://wap.oa.yahoo.com/raw?dp=3Dhome

The Canadian News feed that I "discovered" through some creative munging
of URLs (I resort to this because cbc.ca doesn't have a nice way of
getting headlines or text-only news):
http://wap.oa.yahoo.com/raw?dp=3Dnews&f=3D/ca/news/index.xml

BBC World low-graphics:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/world/default.stm

I'd forget trying to use WebXpress, try Newt's Cape (the interface is
daunting initially, but work with it) and I think you'll be satisfied
with the results.

-Victor