Re: [NTLK] UnAvailWorks

From: David Orriss Jr (dave_at_davenet.net)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 17:06:12 EST

On Sunday, January 05, 2003 1:18 PM,
Grant Hutchinson <grant_at_splorp.com> wrote:

> Bah.
>
> Never say never. If there's any chance that they might release the
> software or the source into the community seeing as they are no longer
> willing or wanting to support it, there's always the opportunity to talk
> to them about it.
>
> I'm hoping that Don Vollum and company will see the benefit of turning
> the Pelicanware assets over to the Newton community.

I hate to sound so pessimistic but Don Vollum's only dedication is to his
wallet. Before I purchased QFPro 4 I got a copy of QFPro 2.5 (complete
license) from someone. But the discs were defective and I asked Don if he
would please send me a replacement binary of the QFPro 2.5 distro. This
person, who up to this point had been always very polite in email, became a
whiney, pissy, jerk. He said basically he was only sending it under duress,
because the software license he wrote never included a "no transfer" clause
in it and that if it weren't for that he would just tell me to go and
purchase a new copy of QFPro (which I did do eventually). Don doesn't care
about Newton or the Newton community. He cares about making a living. And
that's fine - he's entitled to do that. But when that living disappeared
with the development of the Newton, so did he. He's cancelled (or ignores)
his email addresses and, IMNHO, has made it quite clear that he has no
interest in providing support of any kind to the existing Newton user base.

I personally would *not* be surprised if QFPro, AvailWorks, etc ended up on
a 'warez' site or two... Especially since he apparently doesn't even care
to make any more money from it now (since he shut down the website, etc).

--
David Orriss Jr.

Please email me if you want my ICQ/AIM/IM ID's.