Re: [NTLK] OT LaserJet

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 04:57:36 EST

On Sunday, January 5, 2003, at 01:03 Hi!, Robert Benschop wrote:

> I'm looking for a reasonably prices Laser printer and saw a HP 4+ plus
<snip>
> Am I right that any these printers will work fine with a Mac,
> regardless if
> the type is with or without the 'M' as long as I connect over Ethernet?

Only if the printer has postscript, which many did not include (4MP and
some 4M did IME).
> And don't they all support infrared?
No I don't think so.... Unless I'm confused (it happens)

> If the LaserJet 4 doesn't have infrared (it looks like that) how hard
> would
> it be to print from the Newt over Ethernet/WaveLan?
> (printer would be attached to a router)
I think you need the postscript option and the jetdirect card to
achieve this, unless you Newton has a driver for a networked PCL
driver...

Depending on which MacOS you are running... I don't think there are
drivers for the HP4 under Mac OS up to 9.22 unless they come from a
third party, or postscript is added to the printer (as in 4MP).

Mac OSX 10.2.x should work via cups printing(even on plain old HP4. It
would be good to have the jetdirect ethernet interface .

I think the Powerprint driver might be a way to push the HP4 (via PCL)
from OS9...
Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html