Re: [NTLK] Software reccomendation and Surfing!

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 10:46:33 EST

on 03/01/03 03:57, Newtvana at newton_at_ordersomewherechaos.com wrote:

> On Friday, January 3, 2003, at 12:04 AM, Martin Joseph wrote:
>> On Thursday, January 2, 2003, at 11:47 Hi!, Newtvana wrote:
>>> Ed, do you know if this interferes with the delivery of Mac OS X .pkg
>>> files?
>>>
>> <snip>
>> This is a server side setting so it has nothing to do with Mac OSX
>> package files...
>
> Actually it is a server side setting. Many browsers rely on the the MIME
> type that the server sends out in the HTTP header to establish the file
> type of the incoming data stream. The server often establishes that MIME
> type by looking at the .ext extension of the file it's about to send.
>
> Since the server would send one MIME type for Newton packages that end
> in ".pkg" but another MIME type for Mac OS X Packages that have
> filenames ending in ".pkg", I'm wondering how this is resolved on the
> server.

If the server is properly configured, you can have a directory of Newton
packages with an .htaccess file defining their MIME types to be Newton
packages where you can have a different directory with a different .htaccess
file defining extension .pkg to be a different MIME type, specifically OS X
packages. That's how I understand how to use the '.htaccess' file. Then, it
depends on how the server is configured. BTW, all of the above is valid as
long as we're talking about Apache on Unix...

-Laurent.

bytesexual /bi:t`sek'shu-*l/ adj.: [rare] Said of hardware, denotes willingness to compute or pass data in either big-endian or little-endian format (depending, presumably, on a mode bit somewhere). See also NUXI problem.