Re: [NTLK] Installing Packages from OS X

From: Joe Anthenat (janthenat_at_mailandnews.com)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 23:12:11 PST

All this is actually overkill... Here's how I did it...

1. With Personal Web Sharing turned on, create a folder called "Newton"
in my "Sites" folder of my home directory (the Sites folder is the
default homepage directory for Personal Web Sharing).

2. Then copy all my Newton .pkg files into that folder.

3. Fire up NetHopper or Newtscape and point it to
"http://my.ip.address/~username/Newton/". On the Newton I see an index
page displaying the names of all the .pkg files I copied in there.

4. Tap on a file to download/install it.

You just need to be able to connect the Newton to the machine running
OS X by ethernet, wired or wireless.

No muss, No fuss. No command lining necessary, and no need to create a
webpage, just files in a folder.

On Monday, February 24, 2003, at 03:16 AM, John Charlton wrote:

> Briefly here's what I did:
>
> Edit the /private/etc/httpd/mime.types file, adding the line:
> application/x-newton-compatible-pkg pkg
>
> Create a sub-directory under /Library/WebServer/Documents for your
> packages, I called mine 'newton'
>
> Move/copy the packages you want to install into that directory.
>
> Create a web page in that directory with links to your packages.
> Something
> simple like:
>
> <HTML>
> <BODY>
> MyPackage
> </BODY>
> </HTML>
> Fire up your personal server by going to 'System Preferences/Sharing'
> and
> turn web sharing on.
>
> Start NetHopper on the Newton and go to the URL:
>
> http://your.mac.ip.address/newton/packages.html
>
> Click on the link and that should download "MyPackage.pkg". If you've
> got
> NetHopper's 'Package Loader' prefs to 'Install after download' you're
> done.
> Otherwise packages will go into your In/Out box, and you'll have to
> 'Put
> Away item to: Package Loader'

- - -
Joe Anthenat ><>