Re: [NTLK] Installing Packages from OS X

From: John Charlton (johncharlton_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 01:16:54 PST

I just followed your instructions (Ross) from February 7 on how to
configure the OS X Apache server to dish up packages and it worked like a
charm! So while it's not exactly a "native package-installer" it does work
natively in OS X. And even I could do it.

Briefly here's what I did:

Edit the /private/etc/httpd/mime.types file, adding the line:
application/x-newton-compatible-pkg pkg

Create a sub-directory under /Library/WebServer/Documents for your
packages, I called mine 'newton'

Move/copy the packages you want to install into that directory.

Create a web page in that directory with links to your packages. Something
simple like:

<HTML>
<BODY>
<A HREF="MyPackage.pkg">MyPackage</A>
</BODY>
</HTML>

works fine. I saved this as packages.html. (Careful with spaces and
capitalization in URLs, and in OS X generally.)

Fire up your personal server by going to 'System Preferences/Sharing' and
turn web sharing on.

Start NetHopper on the Newton and go to the URL:

http://your.mac.ip.address/newton/packages.html

Click on the link and that should download "MyPackage.pkg". If you've got
NetHopper's 'Package Loader' prefs to 'Install after download' you're done.
  Otherwise packages will go into your In/Out box, and you'll have to 'Put
Away item to: Package Loader'

Not too difficult really, provided you have ethernet installed. I glossed
over some unix-y details, if anyone needs more just drop me a line.

jc

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html