Re: [NTLK] Installing Packages from OS X

From: Newtvana (newton_at_ordersomewherechaos.com)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 00:19:05 PST

On Sunday, February 23, 2003, at 11:43 PM, Norman Palardy wrote:
> On Sunday, February 23, 2003, at 10:34 PM, Newtvana wrote:
>> OS X and Classic have separate AppleTalk preferences. You might also
>> need to enable AppleTalk in the Chooser.
>
> If you open the Appletalk control panel while in Classic you will get
> a message that "The application AppleTalk is not supported by Classic"

Looks like this has changed in 10.2. My apologies. I guess I should
have tried playing with this since my upgrade. In 10.1, it was possible
to launch the AppleTalk CP.

Now it looks like the AppleTalk CP will not launch at all.

Also, the Chooser's AppleTalk radio buttons have no effect whatsoever,
even to the point that clicking on the radio button brings up the 'Make
sure you've disconnected your connections' dialog, but the radio button
itself doesn't actually switch off.

> Classic does NOT have a separate AppleTalk configuration. Whatever you
> have in X you have in Classic. If you enable AppleTalk in OS X Network
> Preferences it will be on in Classic. If you disable them in OS X they
> will disable in Classic.

It seems to me that there have been reports of people not being able to
access AppleTalk services in Classic apps, while they do work in Native
apps. Perhaps these have been misattributed issues?

> IF you reboot into OS 9 on this machine then you can configure OS 9's
> AppleTalk while running OS 9.

Aren't OS 9's and Classic's AppleTalk config identical? They both use
the same preferences, don't they?

...Ross...

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html