[NTLK] NIE <-> Mac OS X

From: Finn Thain (fthain_at_telegraphics.com.au)
Date: Sun Feb 23 2003 - 23:46:44 PST

After a bit of mucking about, I worked out how to get Mac OS X to talk
with NIE using PPP over a null modem serial cable.

NewtSync works fine (though it is slower than direct serial). I also tried
Thumb (it works too). I have yet to try NewtScape, etc. I'm using NIE 1.1,
but I guess it would work for NIE 2.0 too. But I suppose if you have 2.0,
you could just use ethernet.

I can put together some instructions if anyone would like to know how it
can be done. But be warned, at 19.2 kbps, it is slooow. Which is annoying,
because there is no reason not to push it to 115200 or 230400 since TCP is
a reliable transport.

Does anyone know how to bump up the port speed for NIE? I tried
ModemModifier, which offers to change the speed of a modem config, but to
no avail, it still connects at 19.2 kbps. The usual Ser57600 etc packages
work fine for the Connection utility, but Modem Prefs doesn't list them,
just "Default", "PC Card" and "Serial". Does anyone know how to do this?

--Finn

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html